Four Saturday sessions: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. March 30, 10 a.m. to noon April 27, 10 a.m. to noon May 4, 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. June 1. There will be homework in between courses.
Learn to knit two-at-a-time toe up socks! In this four session class you will learn to cast on your socks starting at the toe, knit the sock two at a time, increase for the gusset, turn the heel using a slip stitch and finish the cuff so that it is tight enough to stay up, but not so tight you can’t put the sock on.
You will be using the basic Toe-Up Socks With Gusset & Slip Stitch Heel from Wendy Knits on Ravelry, which is available as a free download on ravelry.com. Wendy has also written a book filled with toe-up sock patterns that we have at the shop so you can easily branch out to more challenging patterns after you take this class.
When you complete this class you will have a pair of hand-knitted socks in a classic stocking stitch to keep your feet cozy, and the skills needed branch out to tackle more complicated sock knitting patterns. You will also learn how to read a pattern so that you can tackle another knitting project on your own.
In the first class you will learn how to cast on and shape the toe. Then you will return for the second session where you will learn how to increase for the gusset, or the part of your foot where it starts to get wider. In the third session, we will shape the heel using a slip stitch. At our final meeting, we will cover techniques for the perfect cuff cast-off.
This is not a beginner knitting course. Students should already know how to knit and purl and be able to knit a gauge swatch prior to class. Experience with circular knitting is beneficial, but not necessary. Those wishing to learn to knit toe-up socks one at a time are also welcome!
- Toe-Up Socks With Gussett & Slip Stitch Heel from Wendy Knits on Ravelry.com
- 350 to 400 yards fingering weight sock yarn
- US 0 or US 1 knitting needles, choose one of the following:
- a set of five, 6-inch dpns, only if knitting one sock at a time
- two 16″ or 24″ circulars, to knit one or two socks at a time
- or one 40″ or 48″ circular, to knit one or two socks at a time
- 4-inch gauge swatch knitted prior to class with the yarn you are using for class
The class is taught in four sessions:
- March 30, 10 a.m. 2 p.m. Cast on and toe increases
- April 27, 10 a.m. to noon Creating the gusset
- May 4, 10 a.m. to noon Turning the heel
- June 1, 10a.m. to 11 a.m. Casting off
All classes are at Quilt Addicts Anonymous, 1232 30th St., Rock Island, IL. You must purchase the class in order to sign up. Since space is limited, cancellations made within 48 hours of the class will not be refunded.